Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) can be useful for many reasons. The dialectical behavior therapy definition involves the use of a range of skills to teach people how to improve their lives by changing thought patterns and behaviors. An effective DBT therapist can help you learn the areas in your life that you need to focus on and improve. Once these areas have been targeted, a range of treatment options is used to work towards acceptance and change. In DBT, clients learn methods for emotion regulation, improving tolerance to stressful situations, and enhancing their personal range for motivation and functionality.
To learn more about the benefits of dialectical behavioral therapy treatment, reach out to our professionals at TruHealing Gaithersburg. Instead of searching online for a “dialectical behavior therapy near me”, contact TruHealing Gaithersburg online or at (833) 625-0398 to learn more about treatment options that are tailored to fit your individual needs.
Modes of DBT
There are multiple modes of DBT that can be used on a person-to-person basis. These are selected based on an individual person’s life situation and the core issues they need to address.
These modes include:
- Structured individual therapy (SIT) – This is a mode that focuses on negative behaviors and learning to make changes. In order to do so, clients learn to find a balance between acceptance and change.
- Skills group – A skills group is a meeting where clients practice learning methods for engaging with others in a supervised setting. A goal is to learn more to have more effective communication tools that can be called attention to in real-time.
- Skills coaching – Skills coaching is an individual-based therapy technique that can be essential for those at risk for self-harm and suicidal ideation. This gives clients the permission to contact their therapist at any time to talk through situations and avoid engaging in negative behaviors.
- Consultation teams – DBT therapists collaborate in consultation teams in order to create a support network. This can be a useful tool to help those who are struggling with especially challenging circumstances.
How DBT Can Improve Your Day
Dialectical behavior therapy skills can help improve all aspects of daily life. DBT can help a person achieve a sense of stability and help them learn methods that make it easier to maintain long-term abstinence.
A goal of dialectical behavior therapy is the targeting of particular problematic thought processes and negative behaviors to help bring core issues into view. This step-by-step process helps encourage lasting recovery.
DBT can help:
- Lessen withdrawal symptoms
- Reduce cravings
- Discourage problematic thoughts and behaviors
- Manage high-risk triggers
- Teach boundaries
- Reinforce positive choices and behaviors
Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills for Life Improvement
There are many DBT skills that can help everyday people improve their lives. For those who are struggling with substance abuse and addiction, negative emotions can be triggers that can tempt a person to relapse. Learning how to have more balanced responses to real-world situations is essential as a harm reduction strategy to avoid relapse.
In sessions, clients practice sharing emotions and talking through better ways to handle how they feel and what their thoughts are telling them to do. Learning better coping methods is essential to living a happier, healthier life. DBT counselors can help clients learn distress tolerance skills that are useful in crisis situations. Practicing self-acceptance can help a person learn to live in the moment and avoid draining their energy and resources by dwelling on attempts to change situations that are not within your personal power to control.
Learn Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills at TruHealing Gaithersburg
Turning your life around on your own can sound like an impossible task. We all need a positive safety net and people who are willing to help us succeed. Dialectical behavioral therapy skills may be precisely what you need to get yourself motivated to make significant changes in your life. DBT can help those dealing with substance abuse disorders and addiction learn to find lasting recovery. Contact the professionals at TruHealing Gaithersburg at (833) 625-0398 to speak with a trained representative or contact us online to learn about treatment options that are tailored to fit your individual needs.