The nation’s opioid epidemic remains a pressing public health emergency. Abuse of opioids and opiates, prescription or otherwise, has led to a surge in opioid addiction. Some worry that this addiction will only go higher due to COVID-19.
If you see the signs of opioid addiction, your best option is to consider an opioid addiction treatment center. At these facilities, doctors and counselors work closely with individuals and their families. With comprehensive treatment approaches to send opioid addiction into remission, you can fully recover from your condition. Contact TruHealing Gaithersburg at (833) 625-0398 today.
5 Signs of Opioid Addiction
If you’re worried about yourself or someone you love, you might be wondering: what are the signs of opioid addiction? At least in the early stages, the signals aren’t easy to spot. However, there are specific signs that you can be on the lookout for if you believe you or a loved one has an addiction to opioids.
- Increasingly distant: You or a loved one is suddenly and surprisingly isolated from your friends and family or the activities you once enjoyed.
- Instances of stealing from family, friends, or businesses, or having other financial difficulties: An opioid habit requires money.
- Frequent flu-like illnesses: Opioid addiction can lower your immune system, leaving you vulnerable to infection.
- Poor hygiene habits: Someone with severe troubles with opioids may stop showering or otherwise taking care of themselves.
- Uncontrollable cravings: Opioid addiction puts the drug on center stage in your life. It becomes impossible to think about anything else.
Opioid addiction treatment is vital to addressing opioid addiction.
Problems Caused by Opioids
Opioids are a class of drugs that have helped many people by mitigating pain from severe illness or injury. However, they have also caused many problems, given that they are severely addicting. Some of the long- and short-term effects of opioids include:
- Lower breathing rate with reduced oxygen flow to the brain
- Damage to the liver as it tries to process the opioids
- Constipation, vomiting, diarrhea
- Anxiety, depression, or other emotional problem
- Problems with sleep
In addition to all of that, opioid addiction also creates enormous lifestyle risks. One of the big signs of opioid addiction is being unable to think about anything else except scoring your next fix. This obsession can lead to risky behavior, such as engaging in criminal behavior to obtain drugs.
TruHealing Gaithersburg is here to help if you believe these symptoms suggest you or a loved one has a problem with opioid addiction.
Background of the Opioid Epidemic
Statistics surrounding the nation’s opioid epidemic are alarming. Experts estimate that millions of people continue to misuse opioids, including prescription painkillers. Tens of thousands have died from opioid overdoses.
How did this happen? The current epidemic traces its origins back to the late 1990s and the over-prescription of new opioids such as Oxycontin. At the time, doctors were mistakenly being told that the drugs had much less risk of addiction.
That turned out to be wrong, and millions became addicted to opioids. Later the epidemic spread to include illegal drugs such as heroin and synthetic opioids such as fentanyl.
Don’t become one of these statistics, and you shouldn’t let a loved one become one either. If you spot signs of opioid addiction, contact TruHealing Gaithersburg or a treatment center closer to you right away.
Getting Help for Opioid Addiction from TruHealing Gaithersburg
Opioid addiction is a serious challenge, not just for the individual but also for his and her family and society. We don’t have to accept the tragic consequences. Opioid addiction treatment is an important conduit for helping people get their lives back on track. Let TruHealing Gaithersburg show you the way. We provide a full range of treatment resources for addiction to opioids and numerous other drugs, including:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Group therapy
- Meditation therapy
- Yoga therapy
Based in Maryland, TruHealing Gaithersburg focuses on your needs to create a treatment plan that leads to a brighter day. Our care resources will support you from admission to detox to counseling to aftercare. Get the caring, confidential, and safe treatment you deserve. Contact TruHealing Gaithersburg today at (833) 625-0398 to learn more and schedule your initial consultation.