In our mass media-driven society, we are bombarded by messages about drugs and alcohol, including tobacco. Frighteningly, this leads to enormous challenges with misinformation. We are surrounded, quite simply, by endless myths about drugs.
And while we also live at a time when accurate information can be found at the click of the mouse, that may not be helpful for someone struggling with substance abuse. A misconception about drugs can lead to serious consequences at a moment’s notice.
Thankfully, though, we have plenty of people working to correct myths about drugs. Drug addiction treatment and rehab facilities such as TruHealing Gaithersburg are the right places to find the most accurate and up-to-date information about drugs. Don’t listen to the word on the street; listen to the professionals at TruHealing Gaithersburg that provide substance abuse treatment programs that can help.
Myths about Drugs
Drugs are dangerous enough. Having myths about drugs in circulation, particularly among young people, can make them even more dangerous as it fuels rumors and misconceptions. Some of the biggest myths about drugs include:
- Marijuana isn’t addictive. Wrong. About 10 percent of people who smoke marijuana build up physical dependence.
- Chewing tobacco does not cause cancer. Wrong. Chewing tobacco and snuff increases the risk of cancer, particularly in the mouth or throat.
- Prescription drugs aren’t harmful since they are tied to a doctor’s order. Wrong. Prescription drug abuse can lead to overdose death, just like illicit drugs.
- Drinking too much or using drugs is the same thing as addiction. Wrong. Addiction is not based on how much you drink; it’s diagnosed based on how physical dependence impacts your life.
- Drug treatment doesn’t work. Wrong. While it’s true many people relapse in the first year after treatment, treatment has helped millions. It is, unfortunately, a measure of the agony of substance abuse.
Facts about Drugs
One way of countering myths about drugs is with facts about drugs. There’s no room for misinformation in drug treatment. Arming yourself with truths about drugs can protect you and someone you love from greater harm. Some of those facts, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, include:
- More than 5,000 teenagers die each year from injuries suffered while abusing alcohol, including in car accidents.
- Four in 10 people who start drinking before the age of 15 become alcoholics.
- Abuse of stimulants such as Ritalin, even if provided via a prescription, can lead to panic attacks, seizures, and heart problems.
- About 440,000 people die each from diseases correlated to tobacco.
- Vicodin, OxyContin and other prescription opioids have caused more overdose deaths over the past 20 years than heroin and cocaine combined.
What’s Involved in Drug Treatment
Just as there are myths about drugs, there are myths about drug treatment. Understanding what treatment entails is helpful. Keep in mind that every person has a different experience in connection with drug abuse, but the common phases include:
- Intake, where doctors learn your medical and psychological history
- Treatment planning, involving the creation of a detailed roadmap for your care
- Detox, where you flush drugs from your system under the care of a doctor
- Aftercare, which involves resources to help reduce the risk of relapse
There’s no denying that treatment takes much dedication, commitment, and patience. It won’t be easy. But as you learn to dispel the myths about drugs, you will be up to the challenge.
Getting Yourself Healthy at TruHealing Gaithersburg
Myths about drugs are dangerous to the extent they prevent people from getting the help they need. When it comes to substance abuse, the only way to succeed is on the facts. TruHealing Gaithersburg and its team of doctors and therapists focus on evidence-based care to help you overcome the cycle of dependence. We offer comprehensive treatment for substance abuse and co-occurring mental health disorders. Our focus is on you and your needs. To keep the focus where it belongs, we’ve made our rehab admissions process as simple as possible. Contact TruHealing Gaithersburg today at (833) 625-0398 to get started with your future.