Alcohol dependence and alcohol addiction are often used interchangeably. But the two concepts are not the same. In certain cases, an individual may suffer from alcohol addiction without being physically dependent on alcohol. When this happens, it becomes difficult to know when to get help. One of the most effective ways to get help is through an alcohol addiction treatment program. You can join one today by reaching out to TruHealing Gaithersburg at (833) 625-0398. Our facility offers a caring and supportive environment during and after the recovery process.
What Is Alcohol Addiction?
Alcohol addiction is a psychological condition. It occurs when the affected individual is unable to stop or control their alcohol intake. Millions of people in the United States have an alcohol use disorder. Many people are in denial as to whether they have an alcohol addiction or alcohol dependence. In both cases, there is a need to get alcohol addiction treatment.
Here are a few things that may indicate alcohol addiction:
- An inability to stop drinking when you have started
- Planning to cut down drinking but failing
- Hiding alcohol consumption from your friends or family
- Drinking alcohol even if it is causing you social, economic, and health problems
- Uncontrollable craving for alcohol and planning events around the consumption of alcohol
An individual with an alcohol addiction may not know it, especially if they are a high-functioning alcoholic. However, they may develop alcohol dependence and find it hard to stop. Alcoholism is a psychological problem since the use of alcohol alters brain chemistry. If this happens, the individual’s brain believes that it needs alcohol to feel good.
Many individuals with an alcohol addiction can go for years without taking a drink. But this does not mean that they are okay or cured. If you have an alcohol addiction, you should seek alcohol addiction treatment. TruHealing Gaithersburg’s alcohol addiction treatment program will help you recover from both conditions.
What Is Alcohol Dependence?
Alcohol dependence is a condition where an individual is physically dependent on alcohol—people who are alcohol dependent need to drink to function properly. When an individual with alcohol dependence tries to quit, they experience withdrawal symptoms. The best way to offset such symptoms is by following an alcohol addiction treatment program.
One of the signs of alcohol dependence is developing tolerance. This means that you have to consume more and more drinks to feel drunk. Many heavy drinkers can become alcohol dependent through prolonged use over some time. When someone who has alcohol dependence decides to quit, they need help.
Quitting alcohol may mark the onset of withdrawal symptoms, including:
- Seizures and tremors
- Agitation and anxiety
If you suspect that you have alcohol dependence, seek treatment to help you handle the onset of withdrawal symptoms. Getting treatment will help you begin the process of recovery successfully. It will also help you manage the onset of severe withdrawal symptoms.
Treat Your Alcohol Dependence with TruHealing Gaithersburg Today
At TruHealing Gaithersburg, we will help you recover by following an alcohol addiction treatment program. We understand the differences between the two conditions, and our programs will focus on your specific needs.
Some of the treatment programs we offer are:
- Alcohol addiction treatment program: This program helps individuals recover from alcoholism and alcohol dependence.
- Partial hospitalization program: Follows a highly structured treatment course that the patient participates in during the day. The program is suitable for patients who are not suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms.
- Outpatient treatment program: Under such a program, the patient gets to live at home while recovering from alcohol addiction.
- Alumni recovery program: Focuses on following up on patients’ recovery process after they have passed through the treatment process at the facility. The program acts as a support system to help individuals achieve and maintain sobriety.
Knowing whether you have an alcohol addiction or alcohol dependence is very important in your journey to recovery. The two conditions are very different, but both need treatment for a full recovery. Contact TruHealing Gaithersburg today at (833) 625-0398 and let us help you make the first step towards an alcohol-free life.