There are critical differences when it comes to how men and women react and respond to substance abuse. That’s one of the main reasons for the existence of gender-specific treatment, including men’s rehab centers. In men-only spaces, men in recovery from substance use issues can benefit from the perspectives of other men in recovery as well as the support of experienced therapists.
A men’s rehab program involves men working together with men to understand their addictions and mutually help each other toward solutions. Evidence shows that focusing on issues with a single-gender group is a critical factor in treatment success. There are many benefits of men’s treatment, and you can learn more about them by contacting TruHealing Gaithersburg at (833) 625-0398. In our center, you’ll find high-quality evidence-based treatment in a supportive, welcoming environment. Lasting recovery is possible—take the first step to a healthier, happier life by contacting us today.
Is Gender-Specific Treatment Necessary?
Though drugs and alcohol have universal properties for how they impact the central nervous system, there are significant differences that appear for men and women. Researchers have found that separating the two groups in treatment helps produce positive outcomes.
The main issue pointing towards men’s rehab (or women’s rehab, for that matter) stems from the forces that lead to addiction. Men and women face unique pressures in their lives and from society.
For instance, men are more susceptible to addiction through the pressure of peers. And while men and women both experience pressures at work and at home, men can internalize these pressures differently. Men might struggle with anger and other emotional challenges that make it difficult to seek out help.
Men and women also abuse different drugs in different ways. Gender-specific treatment focuses on identifying those differences and addressing them effectively. Through this type of treatment program, you’ll experience targeted, personalized care that can help you reach your goals.
Five Benefits of Men’s Addiction Rehab Programs
One of the main benefits of gender-specific treatment is in providing a positive environment to explore problems. That’s also one of the benefits of men’s treatment. Here are five other benefits of men’s rehab:
- Creates a judgment-free zone: Men face unique circumstances in connection with substance abuse, such as sexual dysfunction. It’s hard to talk about this mixed company.
- Ability to find allies and advocates: The role of peer support in addiction treatment really cannot be underestimated. The bonds of a men’s rehab program pay dividends down the road.
- Fewer distractions: Men and women together inherently can create certain types of friction. Gender-specific treatment eliminates those tensions.
- Focus on what matters: In a mixed company, the issues are broad. One of the benefits of men’s treatment is narrowing the scope to the things that matter.
- Better communication: Being with other men makes it easier to open up.
If you’re interested in how a men’s rehab program can help you heal, reach out to a treatment center near you today.
What You Can Expect in a Men’s Rehab Program
While the issues handled in a men’s rehab program are different from those of a women’s rehab program, the structure isn’t. Men and women work their way through the same stages of recovery. Those stages include:
- Assessment/intake: A thorough medical exam establishes a health baseline, which our team will use to create a treatment plan.
- Detox: In most cases, you first must flush the drugs and alcohol from your system. You do this under the supervision of doctors who treat withdrawal.
- Counseling: The central part of rehab involves working with addiction therapists, alone and in a group, to understand what brought you to this point and how to cope better in the future.
- Aftercare: Since relapse happens at a high rate, the aftercare stage works on providing resources to prevent that from happening.
A men’s rehab program can help men get through these stages more quickly and effectively. Don’t put off reaching out for help—the sooner you begin treatment, the sooner you’ll be on your way to living a productive life in recovery.
Reach Out for Men’s Addiction Treatment at TruHealing Gaithersburg
Gender-specific treatment programs provide an acknowledgment that individuals experience substance abuse and receive treatment in different ways. That’s particularly true for men, and why TruHealing Gaithersburg offers a men’s rehab program and believes strongly in the benefits of gender-specific treatment. Based in Maryland, TruHealing Gaithersburg provides rehab for substance abuse, behavioral addictions, and co-occurring mental health conditions.
Our experienced team is ready today to work with you to provide a clinical assessment, detox, counseling, and aftercare in the best possible environment in substance abuse treatment. Our focus is on helping you rebuild and restore your life. Take the first step toward recovery today. Reach TruHealing Gaithersburg at (833) 625-0398 to schedule an initial caring and confidential consultation.